Statement of responsibility: edited by Richard Gruneau and John Horne
ISBN: 1138067881, 9781138067882
Intended audience: Specialized.
Originally published: 2016.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
xii, 233 pages : illustrations (black and white) ; 24 cm.
Routledge research in sport, culture and society ; 52
Special events Social aspects.; Hosting of sporting events Social aspects.; Sports and globalization.; Sport.
Routledge research in sport, culture and society ; 52.
- 1. Mega Events and Globalization
- A Critical Introduction Richard Gruneau and John Horne
- PART I
- Creative Destruction, Modernization and Spectacular Capitalism
- 2. Beyond Bread and Circuses
- Mega-Events as Forces of Creative-Destruction Kevin Fox Gotham 3. Mega-Events, Media and the Integrated World of Global Spectacle James Compton 4. Modernization, Neoliberalism and Sports Mega Events
- Evolving Discourses in Latin America Simon Darnell and Rob Millington 5. Between Madiba Magic and Spectacular Capitalism
- The FIFA World Cup in South Africa Ashwin Desai
- PART II
- States of Exception
- 6. Mega-events and the City of Exception
- Theoretical Explorations of Brazilian experience Carlos Vainer 7. Mega-events, Urban Image Construction and the Politics of Exclusion Anne Marie Broudehoux 8. Sochi 2014
- Politics, Economics, Spectacle, and Dissent Jules Boykoff 9. The World Cup, the Security State and the Colonized Other
- Reflections on Brazil, Russia, South Africa, and Qatar Grant Farred
- PART III
- Economies of Events and Experiences
- 10. The Urban Impacts of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil Chris Gaffney 11. China meets Korea: the Asian Games, Entrepreneurial Local States and Debt-Driven Development Hyun Bang Shin. 12. Mega-Events of the Future
- The Experience Economy, the Korean Connection and the Growth of eSport Michael Borowy and Dal Yong Jin