Statement of responsibility: edited by Yvette Reisinger
ISBN: 1780642091, 9781780642093
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
xvi, 237 pages : illustrations (black and white) ; 25 cm
Travel and Tourism.; Tourism Psychological aspects.; Tourism.
- I: Preface
- PART I: INTRODUCTION
- 1: Hopeful Tourism: a Transformational Perspective
- PART II: TRANSFORMATION AND TOURISM
- 2: Transformation and Transformational Learning Theory
- 3: Connection between Travel, Tourism and Transformation
- 4: Not 'On Vacation': Survival Escapist Travel as an Agent of Transformation
- PART III: WELLNESS, RETREAT, RELIGIOUS AND SPIRITUAL TOURISM
- 5: Transforming Quality of Life through Wellness Tourism
- 6: Retreat Tourism as a Form of Transformational Tourism
- 7: Nearer to God - Transformational Experiences of Short-term Mission Travellers
- 8: The Transformative Power of Yoga Tourism
- PART IV: EXTREME SPORTS, BACKPACKING AND CULTURAL TOURISM
- 9: Extreme Sports as Transformational Tourism
- 10: Returning Home: Reflections on Lifestyle Transformation Resulting from International Backpacker Travels
- 11: Finding Themselves in San Blas, Panama
- PART V: WWOOFING AND ECOTOURISM
- 12: WWOOFing Tourists, Beaten Tracks and Transformational Paths
- 13: The Next Stage of Eco-travel: Facilitating Transformation through Personal Ethics
- PART VI: VOLUNTEER AND EDUCATIONAL TOURISM
- 14: Acculturation, Re-entry and Transformation: the Story of a Volunteer Tourist
- 15: Travel for Education: a Force for Peace and Cross-cultural Understanding?
- 16: Doing Good for God's Sake: the Role of Religion in Altruism. The Case of Volunteer Tourism
- 17: Conclusion